I received a funny list in my Inbox recently from Joanne, one of my yarn reps. It's Lily Chin's top 10 ways to hide the stash. I love number 2. But I'll be honest, I don't have a reason to hide mine at all. Joe doesn't care at all how much yarn I have and I like to rotate it on display- a bowl of yarn on the counter, shelves of it everywhere. It's colorful and it's my art investment, so I like to show it off.
1. Tape a bag of yarn to the underside of all the chairs – who’ll know???
2. Put a slipcover over a bag of yarn, stick it on the couch, call it a pillow.
3. Remove the cushions of the couch, stuff with yarn instead.
4. There are narrow books that don’t reach all the way to the back of the bookshelf. That dead space behind such books is good for several skeins.
5. Do you wear ALL your shoes at the same time? No, stick a skein of yarn in each unworn shoe (boots are great for this very reason).
6. Everyone has clothes in the closet that are never, ever worn. Sew up the bottoms of the garments, insert yarn. Do not forget to sew up bottoms of sleeves. There’s enough in each sleeve for more than a bag’s worth.
7. Never cook, only order take-out or go to restaurants. You’ve now got the whole oven!
8. Look to the china cabinet. That large soup turrine? Maybe a bag. Large teapot? A few balls. Covered dish? The same.
9. The freezer is advantageous for fuzzies such as angora or mohair. Make sure to place in plastic bag first. This is known as the high-fiber diet!
10. Get a really large box and fill it up with lots and lots of yarn. Put a tablecloth over it. Voila, instant dresser (but you can’t get your feet underneath it).